Diary of a Tiger: w/c Fri 18 Mar

Image by Jan Barkmann from Pixabay
Chapter 12: Week commencing Friday 18 March

I spent far too long (3 hours) on Thursday after work arguing with Amazon, but from a paying customer’s point of view this time rather than a self-published writer’s point of view. Honestly, they are equally as bad on both sides of the desk.

Friday morning I did finally get a sensible reply regarding my concerns. However, all it did was regurgitate the exact piffle I was complaining about in the first place. Anyway, I spent a little more time with it on Friday, but then I really, really had to step away. It was becoming far too consuming.

I’m sick to death of bullies stamping all over everyone just because they can get away with it.

With some concentration, I forced my attention back to the job in hand and continued with the ghostwriting for GW1 client. I worked until 2am in the morning.

The Weekend
I had a late start on Saturday, but continued with the ghostwriting for GW1. It was deadline day and I didn’t want to be sending another apologetic email.

To help out, the poet went to get tea from the Chinese. We make one meal each last two days, so that meant we had Sunday tea too. I worked late, but I got the ghostwriting done and sent it off.

I did a few other admin things, and finished work at about 1am.

After two late nights, Sunday meant another lie-in. We took the dog with us for a ride, did the shopping (having left the dog with his ‘Nan’), and on the way home went on a small detour to have a look at a pretty little village not far from us.

Early night, following two late nights, plus the poet had to be up early as he was going to Manchester for two days.

On Monday, a new Wordsworth Short was published.

The Phoenix Lights is a brand-new short story especially written for my publishing challenge. You can read more about how this story came about in Monday’s publishing challenge post.

You can find all of my books on the BUY MY BOOKS tab on the blog, or you can go to www.books2read.com/DianeWordsworth.

I slept in (surprise, surprise), but even when I got up I still had NO ghostwriting to do, as the contract for the next instalment hadn’t come through yet. I had some of my own work to do in the morning, but the entire afternoon was pegged for editing work.

Not having anything pressing to do, I did some household chores for a change. This was the first ‘relaxed’ working day I’ve had in a while, I’ve been so stupidly busy. Once I’d finished the chores, for the first time in ages I sat down and had a proper tea break. I even went to sit in the dining room so I could enjoy my cup of tea and a giant cookie.

By the time I was back at my desk, the next part of the ghostwriting contract had arrived and they’d also authorised payment for the one I submitted on Saturday. (Did I mention I was actually on time this time?) They’ve given me another Saturday deadline, which actually works out quite well, as it gives me a bit more wiggle room.

No ghostwriting for me today, though. Oh no. Today I was relishing not having to do any writing for somebody else. I spent some time updating this post ahead of today’s publication, and I created a new story from some of Monday’s post and copied it to Medium.

I had a late dinner, then got on with the editing work, finishing at a respectable time for tea.

Tuesday was more editing, plus I did the 25 prompts post for Wednesday’s blog post and copied it over to Medium.

We did break off early again on Tuesday to go and have another look at that village. Then it was back to work again.

Wednesday & Thursday (and today!)

Wednesday and Thursday, and indeed today, were and are all about copy editing. The manuscript is 2 inches deep, or 437 pages long. And it’s a tough job, meaning there’s something on pretty much every line.

Every single line.

In fact, the only things getting a tick (i.e. ‘cleared’) are *some* subtitles. Even the chapter headings need changing.

So before I carry on with anything else, this is what I’m working on. Especially as there’s another one lined up already for when this one is finished.

Oh, and the books delivery I’ve been arguing the toss with Amazon over has been brought forward… from 6 May to the end of March. This after they swore blind, and several times, that 6 May was the absolute earliest they could get the books to me.

Perhaps my emails landed on the right desk eventually. Either that, or someone (or several someones) has been telling porkie pies.

Have a great weekend. We’re off to see our mothers on Sunday. Both of them!

Diary of a Tiger: Out in 2023

Note: I’m not including links because they take forever to edit out when I’m preparing the final version of the book for publication.