WordPress was having a bit of a hissy fit today. First of all, it wouldn’t let me create or edit a post in Edge, and then it wouldn’t let me preview a post in Opera or Edge.
However, as I pay for the personal plan, I was able to contact support and they seem to have fixed it for me. Or at least on Edge they have. Opera may take a while longer, but I’m not using that as much these days as it’s quite memory hungry.
Our new local beauty spot (aka our closest beauty spot) is Hatfield Moor. Back in May (2020), Hatfield Moor was on fire. For several weeks. Parts of it are still closed while the site recovers.
On Sunday, we finally managed to go and visit Hatfield Moor to see how it was doing. We were there for an hour and a half and the poet took some great pictures.
I’ll be using some of those pictures to illustrate blog posts over the next couple of weeks. Again, this is to demonstrate where we live and our new surroundings. I’ll also share snippets of information about the moors along the way.
Catch the Rainbow
I haven’t been able to spend much time on this recently, due to other work. But it is still percolating away in the background.
With the story progressing, I was starting to wonder about the structure. I’m currently writing it in scenes, in chronological order. But that doesn’t necessarily work in a novel and can read quite boringly.
On Sunday morning I woke up with a bit of a Eureka! moment. And when we got back from our walk, I started to apply it, starting with reorganising my Scrivener binder.
I’ve now set it out into five parts, and my original prologue is now Chapter Two. I’ve thought long and hard about using a prologue and I’ve come to the conclusion that some people don’t bother reading them. So I made my new Prologue Chapter One.
Part One only has one chapter in it, which used to be the new prologue. But I’m also converting some of the scenes to chapters, mixing them up a bit, and calling it a wrap. Or a first draft wrap at least.
My first four chapters are now complete. Or to first draft at least. Chapter Five needs a little tidying up.
We had some sad news last week and I lost my concentration for a while. So I let the client know and he was fine about it. I have some catching up to do, but so long as I keep him updated it should be okay.
I’ve learnt and applied a new writing technique that I’m also adopting for Catch the Rainbow. I hope the client likes the style.
Word meters as at 9am today
I think I know why the Writertopia word meters aren’t working. They still work in Opera, which I’m not using anymore. But they’re not working in Edge. This may be because Microsoft is phasing Flash out by the end of 2020 and, therefore, so is Adobe.
I don’t know if the Writertopia meters are only set up to work with Flash, but it makes sense, as the website hasn’t been updated since 2012. These meters already struggle at NaNoWriMo time and I don’t think the owner is continuing development.
If you know different, then do please drop a comment below.
Meanwhile, here’s how I’m doing on the two projects I’ve worked on this past week.
Catch the Rainbow
47,651/80,000 words. 60% done!
Ghostwriting Gig #1
10,723/63,000 words. 17% done!
(Word meters from Language is a Virus.)
Hatfield Moor sounds fascinating. I haven’t heard of it. I wish I could have a eureka moment! Sorry to hear you’ve had some sad news. x
I think Eureka! moments come when they’re ready. 🙂
Hatfield Moor is part of the Humberland peatland.
Comments are closed.