With such a long to-do list I really ought to try and focus more. My self-discipline was not great yesterday due to my inability to ignore shiny, sparkly things.
To me, shiny, sparkly things are actually neither shiny nor sparkly. They are things like book covers, or artwork, or websites, or even just a butterfly mind.
I really did have a lot to do yesterday, and yet I got stuck on Medium trying to sort out why one of my stories wouldn’t publish. I think it was a glitch in the end, at their end, but that didn’t stop me trying until well after tea.
And then, instead of concentrating on outlines for one story and one article query already on the list, I started to rewrite an old travel article with a view to sending it to one of the Medium publications.
I didn’t even get around to the ghostwriting work, and nor did I write anything for The Beast Within.
So, how did I do in the end on my first day back?
- I prepared a thorough to-do list for the week
- I wrote yesterday’s epic blog post (1,700+ words)
- I epublished Chapter 6 of Night Crawler on Medium
- I epublished Chapter 5 of Diary of a Scaredy Cat on Medium – eventually
- I wrote 802 words for Project Management for Writers
- I wasted too much time researching publications on Medium
- I wasted too much time rewriting an old travel article
- I played around with the cover for the Words Worth Reading emagazine
- I created a poll for Diane’s Gig List
- I then had to field comments from people who didn’t read the poll correctly in the first place
And that’s it. That’s all I did throughout the entire day yesterday.
Today needs to be better. Much better. And yet already, I’ve been faffing on Medium.
Although the book chapters are going up behind a paywall on Medium, Chapter 1 of NIght Crawler should now be FREE to read. Non-members get to read 3 free stories a month. Members can read as many stories as they like.
For my Facebook friends, I’m going to include ‘friend’ links to Night Crawler. This will allow non-members who are friends to read each chapter for free.
And now, I’m going to step away from the Medium …