Wednesday writing prompts
I missed last week, so here is a list of dates for the first half of the month for you to research and brainstorm for yourselves. Choose a topical date or an evergreen, and consider writing an article, a short story, or something longer. There’s time, after all.
- Evergreen: Lammastide
- Evergreen: Yorkshire Day
- Fifty years ago next year, on 1 August 1972, the first article exposing the Watergate scandal appeared in the Washington Post.
- One hundred years ago next year, on 2 August 1922, Alexander Graham Bell died at the age of 75 from diabetes complications.
- Twenty years ago next year, on 3 August 2002, Carmen Silvera (Allo, Allo) died at the age of 80 from lung cancer.
- Five years ago next year, Robert Hardy (All Creatures Great and Small; Harry Potter) died at the age of 91.
- Two hundred and fifty years ago next year, on 4 August 1772, the poet William Blake was apprenticed to an engraver in London at the age of 14.
- Sixty years ago next year, on 4 August 1962, Nelson Mandela was captured by South African police.
- Twenty years ago next year, on 4 August 2002, the Soham Murders took place.
- Evergreen: Oyster Day
- Fifty years ago next year, on 5 August 1972, the Moody Blues released Nights in White Satin.
- Thirty years ago next year, on 5 August 1992, 4 LA police officers were acquitted for the Rodney King beatings, indicted on a civil rights charge.
- Sixty years ago next year, on 5 August 1962, Marilyn Monroe was found dead of a suspected overdose at the age of 36.
- Sixty years ago next year, on 6 August 1962, Jamaica became independent after 300 years of British rule.
- Evergreen: National Lighthouse Day
- Evergreen: International Cat Day
- One hundred and twenty-five years ago next year, on 10 August 1897, the Automobile Club of Great Britain was established (now the Royal Automobile Club – RAC).
- One hundred and twenty-five years ago next year, on 11 August 1897, Enid Blyton was born in London.
- Evergreen: The Glorious Twelfth – grouse shooting season begins in England
- Evergreen: Left-handers Day
Over to you…
… and don’t forget to come back and let me know if and what you did, and how it fared.